Apologies for the lack news posts. I was in the process of moving to a new apartment and haven’t had internet until about a week ago and I am still on a pretty bad pocket wifi connection. But it should be good enough to be able to post some news until my fiber is installed. Anyway, enough with the excuses, let’s get to the news!
- First story of this week is about another breach. This time it looks like the IHG hotel group has had something upwards of 1000 plus hotels breached. IGH confirmed that they are upgrading the security system at their hotels and the one affected are mostly the ones that have not upgraded their security as of yet.
- Read More @ https://threatpost.com/ihg-confirms-second-credit-card-breach-impacting-1000-plus-hotels/125033/
- Next, a good article from Palo Alto on a new rat called “Cardinal” that has flown under the radar for over two years. It’s always fun to read about a new piece of malware, so take a look!
- Read More @ https://www.scmagazine.com/cardinal-rats-unique-downloader-allowed-it-to-avoid-detection-for-years/article/651927/
- CIA, and FBI are a little bit angry about the CIA leaks that Wikileaks exposed recently and seem to be determined to find the source of the leak within the agency. They suspect an insider and the investigation is underway. Curious how this one will turn out.
- Read More @ http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cia-fbi-on-manhunt-for-leaker-who-gave-top-secret-documents-to-wikileaks/
- Well, this next story was a bit obvious. It looks like the NSA tools leaked by the Shadow Brokers are being used in order to launch attacks against vulnerable machines. This was always going to be the inevitable outcome as everyone gains access to the NSA toolset. Even though most of these vulnerabilities have been patched, plenty of systems that lag behind still exist.
- Read More @ http://thehackernews.com/2017/04/windows-hacking-tools.html
- Next, the longest sentence for hacking related crimes was just handed down to the son of a Russian lawmaker. The person in question is responsible for $170 million in damages related to credit card theft. That is a long, long time….
- Read More @ http://thehackernews.com/2017/04/credit-card-russian-hacker.html
- Next, more Wikileaks related news as the US is preparing charges to seek the arrest of Julian Assange. This is hardly surprising given the Vault 7 leaks of recent times and those of Chelsea Manning.
- Read More @ http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/20/politics/julian-assange-wikileaks-us-charges/index.html