Apologies for the slightly late news post, but it’s been a busy week here. However we do have some good stuff for you this week, hope you enjoy !
- First story of the week is an interesting one. A new cross browser fingerprinting technique has been developed that allows advertisers, etc. to track users regardless of browser user, and even if you change browsers. This will inevitably be implemented by advertisers in the near future in order to continue to deliver targeted ads. Oh joy.
- Read More @ http://thehackernews.com/2017/02/cross-browser-tracking.html
- Next, the bad news just keeps coming for Yahoo and they revealed details of a new breach.This latest breach, disclosed in December of 2016, In this attack the use of “forged cookies” allowed the attackers to access accounts without having to know the password.
- Read More @ http://thehackernews.com/2017/02/yahoo-hack.html
- A new APT campaign dubbed “Operation BugDrop” has been discovered by researchers at Cyber X. The targets are mostly in Ukraine, though targets in Austria, Saudi Arabia, and Russia were also found.
- Read More @ http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/at-least-70-organizations-targeted-in-sophisticated-cyber-surveillance-operation/d/d-id/1328206
- Next, some news for those who follow Brian Krebs, and his blog will be aware that he was “Swatted” in 2013 and now apparently the person responsible, as well as the person who planned the whole thing were sentenced.
- Read More @ https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/02/men-who-sent-swat-team-heroin-to-my-home-sentenced/
- President Donald Trump’s (ugh) website has been defaced by an Iraqi hacker. The site seems to be Trump’s campaign fundraising site, and was defaced and a message was placed linking a hacker from Iraq to the defacement.
- Read More @ http://thehackernews.com/2017/02/donald-trump-website-hacked.html
- First webcast this week is about the top 10 common IR pain points, by Delta Risk. It takes a look at some of the most common issues with IR and IH processes and it’s a good watch for anyone looking to improve their IH/IR process.
- Watch @ https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/14231/243669
- Lastly, a great Webcast by SANS on Emerging Trends in Incident Response. A great talk on expected IR trends in 2017, by Ed Skoudis and a few others from SANS. Great content by the folks at SANS as always.
- Watch @ https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/12099/236005