Welcome to the Christmas Week edition of the news, hopefully everyone out there is having a safe and happy holiday. However, the news knows no breaks, so on with it we go.
- First story of the week is an interesting take on the ShadowBroker leak that made the rounds over the past few months. Now, new research from a threat intelligence firm “Flashpoint” has surmised that the ShadowBroker hackers were assisted by a rogue insider. Whether this is actually true or not has not been confirmed but is an interesting theory.
- Read More @ http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/report-shadowbrokers-obtained-stolen-nsa-info-via-rogue-insider/d/d-id/1327763
- A congressional group has concluded that any backdoors in encryption software would not be beneficial. Given the recent debate over encryption backdoors, this is a great win for privacy advocates.
- Read More @ http://betanews.com/2016/12/23/ewg-encryption-report/
- France has created a cyber command in order to respond to the rising threat of cyber warfare. This is not too surprising given the trends in cyvber security and the high profile nation-state backed APT campaigns that are happening on an almost weekly basis.
- Read More @ https://www.scmagazine.com/france-unveils-cyber-command-in-response-to-new-era-in-warfare/article/579677/
- Next, a good read on how to build a good threat intelligence program. Very few companies make good use of threat intelligence, and even ones that do have a threat intel program tend to not make proper use of it.
- Read More @ http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/feature/Building-a-threat-intelligence-program-Seven-ways-to-avoid-the-frenzy