Another news week is upon us, a bit quieter than usual this week but still some good stuff. Enjoy !
- First, some privacy news. Microsoft is fighting the U.S DOJ in order to prevent a law from going into effect that would forbid companies from disclosing to their customers that the government has made a request for their data. They are drawing support from a number of other organizations and companies like the EFF, Google, and Mozilla, among others. Let’s hope they come out on top.
- Read More @ http://betanews.com/2016/09/03/microsoft-fights-data-request-secrecy/
- Next, some interesting news coming out of Intel Security. Intel looks to be spinning out the Security business (Formerly McAfee) and selling the majority stake to a Private Equity firm. The new company will be called “McAfee” once more. Intel cites “failed synergy” as the reason for this move.
- Read More @ http://fortune.com/2016/09/07/intel-spins-security-tpg-mcafee/
- Next, the congressional probe into the massive OPM breach has concluded, and some interesting findings were discovered. Mainly, that two waves of attacks were responsible, and that these attacks were likely to be connected. The report is not good news for OPM as a number of security failures were highlighted that if fixed could have limited the loss of data.
- Read More @ http://www.darkreading.com/endpoint/opm-breach-two-waves-of-attacks-likely-connected-congressional-probe-concludes/d/d-id/1326834
- Owner of the vDOS (DDoS as a service) has been arrested in Israel, after an official complaint from the FBI to the Israeli authorities. Their identities became public after the vDOS website was breached, and consequently the database was made public.
- Read More @ http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/09/alleged-vdos-proprietors-arrested-in-israel/
- This weeks webcast is again from the folks at FireEye, and a good one as usual. This time, they take a look at the Russian cyber operations, so anyone with interest in the APT side of things should find this interesting. Have a look!
- Watch @ https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/10703/196167